Danilovskaya Manufactory: The Danilovskaya Manufactory buildings were built in 1867. After the revolution the firm was renamed as the Moscow Frunze Cotton Factory, but had its original name restored in 1994. The factory produced fabrics and headscarves until as recently as 2000. Following a 2011 restoration the industrial zone was transformed into a modern loft space which now houses the offices of Rambler&Co, including MOSLENTA.
ARMA Gas Plant: The ARMA gas plant located on Nizhniy Susalny Lane was erected in 1865. The plant was closed down in 2002, and within just a year ARMA was already featured as one of the locations of the Russian Fashion Week. The area is now known as a fashion hot spot and has several galleries and showrooms.
Moscow Contemporary Art Centre, Winzavod: The “Moscow Bavaria” winery was built in 1889 on 4th Syromyatnichesky Lane and remained operational right up until 1980. In 2003 the facility was renovated by architect Alexander Brodsky and in 2007 the former factory was transformed into the Contemporary Art Centre, Winzavod.
Krasny Oktyabr (Red October) Confectionery Factory: The Krasny Oktyabr confectionery factory located on Bersenevskaya Embankment operated from 1890 until 2007, when the enterprise was moved to the Babaevsky Group facility. The buildings remained and have since been transformed into a bustling art cluster, which is still evolving to this day.
Utro Rossii (Russia’s Morning) Daily Typography: The typography was designed by architect Shekhtel and erected at Bolshoy Putinkovsky Lane in 1907. In 1990 the building was closed down until its renovation in 2001, when the facade was restored to its original design. After refurbishment, the building was turned into a multipurpose cultural and business centre.
Bakhmetevsky Bus Garage: A masterpiece of the Russian avant-garde, the Bakhmetevsky Bus Garage was built on Obraztsova Street in 1926, based on the designs of architect Konstantin Melnikov and engineer Vladimir Shukhov. In 1999 the enterprise was moved to another location. From 2008 to 2011, the building housed the Garage Modern Art centre, which later moved to its new home in Gorky Park. As of 2011 the former bus garage is used by the Jewish Museum and Tolerance Centre. The building has been gradually renovated since 2002.
Electroluch Factory: The Electroluch factory on Bolshaya Pirogovskaya Street was constructed in 1899, according to a design by the architect A. Roop. In 2006 the factory was moved to Gagarin city, in the Smolensk Region. In 2012 the building was renovated, after which Electroluch transformed into a business centre.
Levenson Partnership High-Speed Typography: The typography at the Trekhprudny Lane was built in 1881. In 2006 the building was knocked through and refurbished to make it suitable for use as office space.
Zavod Imeni Likhachova (ZiL, Likhachev factory): The factory was erected at Avtozavodskaya in 1916, but part of the site has now been repurposed for residential development. The photo shows the Hockey Hall of Fame, which will become part of the Park of Legends sports and entertainment district on the former industrial ZiL site.
Manometr Instrument Plant: The Manometr Tool Plant was constructed in 1886 at its Nizhnaya Syromyatnicheskaya Street site. In 2000 production was transferred to Engels, in the Saratov Region. Following the 2008/9 renovation the former industrial zone became home to the Artplay design centre.
Moscow State Wine Warehouse #1: The factory has remained on Samokatnaya Street since its construction in 1901. In 1987 it was renamed as the Kristall factory. However, since 2009, the business has been being relocated in stages. When all the equipment has finally been moved, the former plant will house apartments and a business centre.
Georgievskaya Central Power Plant: The power plant was constructed in 1888 in Georgievsky Lane and was operational until 1994. In 1996 the building was renovated, renamed as Maly Manezh and repurposed to serve as one of Moscow's leading exhibition spaces.
Bogatyr Rubber Plant: The Bogatyr rubber processing factory was built in 1887 on Krasnobogatyrskaya Street. In 2013 it was renovated, and repurposed as a business centre.
Trekhgornaya Manufactura: The buildings of the Trekhgornaya Manufactura at Rodchelskaya Street were constructed in 1799. By 2012, however, production has been moved to Yaroslavl Oblast, while the buildings have been repurposed as luxury apartments, a hotel and office space.
Theatre for the Workers of the Copper Smelting and Cable Factory “Alexeev, Vishnyakov, Shashin Partnership”: The theatre was built on Stanislavskovo Street in 1890. In 2007 the buildings underwent an interior redesign and modernisation. The main production building was turned into the Stanislavskiy Factory Office Centre. The second building is still fulfilling its original purpose: it now houses the Theatrical Arts Studio, led by Sergey Zhenovach.
G. I. Simono Silk Mill: The G. I. Simono Silk Mill was built in 1836 on Shabolovka. Renovation work began on the site in 2005 and in 2013 it was given to the Higher School of Economics, which continues the refurbishment to this day.
Bolshevik Factory: The red and white ornaments of the A. Siu and Co Partnership confectionery factory were designed by the architect Oscar Didio and built on the Petersburg Highway (now known as Leningrad Highway) in 1884. In the Soviet era, the site was known as the Bolshevik Factory. It remained operational as a confectionery factory until 2012. The main buildings are now offices and restaurants, while the former barn has been turned into the Museum of Russian Impressionism.
Moscow's industrial areas are quite diverse: from Soviet faceless giants like ZIL and AZAK to pre-revolutionary confectionery factories, mills, typographies and other plants. The red brick buildings of Krasny Oktyabr (Red October), Danilovskaya Manufaktura and Bolshevik have undergone massive renovation projects and are now part of modern urban life – looking the same, but serving a completely different purpose. We collected the best examples of former industrial buildings, which have been designated as architectural heritage sites and transformed into museums, business centres, lofts and art clusters.
Author: Oleg Matveev