The store appeared on the site of Muir and Mirrielees, a widely-known establishment that had opened in 1888 when Scotsmen Andrew Muir and Archibald Mirrielees, founders of the hat brand Muir and Mirrielees, opened their first boutique in Moscow. Due to the popularity of the store, the owners decided to expand and by 1913, it had about 80 different departments selling a wide range of high quality products, including perfumes, clothes, shoes and even tools for home improvement projects. After its nationalisation in 1917, Muir and Mirrielees was renamed TsUM.
Moscow’s TsUM Store Turns Ninety-Five
PHOTO by Alexander Vilf / RIA Novosti